The hubby and I were having an amusing discussion the other night about funny TV or movie character names. There have been some seriously funny ones over the years. We wondered what a top 10 list would look like. With a little bit of research, I was able to put together a good start and it took an exercise in will to whittle it down to only 10.
There are some character names that also make an honorable mention list. For example, The Simpson’s character, Aunt Selma’s full name is Selma Bouvier Terwilliger Hutz McClure Stu Simpson. I think that’s funny. I also like how the character Phoebe Buffay of the TV Sitcom Friends changed her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock. It didn’t last long, but it was a great name, at least for one episode. Here is a list of our favorites:
- Bob Loblaw of the TV Sitcom Arrested Development. This character is an attorney and his name is supposed to sound like “blah blah blah.” In fact, his company slogan is, “You don’t need double talk; you need Bob Loblaw.”
- Milhouse Van Houten of the TV Cartoon, The Simpsons. My husband doesn’t think this is hilarious, but what can you say about this character named after US President, Richard Milhouse Nixon? Milhouse is known for more than his fair share of bad luck on the show but he has had an occasional good moment. At such times he has been noted to say, “Looks like everything is coming up Milhouse!” I say good job, Milhouse, for making the best of a not so best name! We also had to include a few of the hilarious names that Bart Simpson calls up to the local bar. He asks for someone by a prank name which requires the bartender, Moe, to announce to the crowd things like, “Uh, is I.P. Freely here? Hey Everybody, I. P. Freely!” Some of the other infamous names that Bart has prank called include: Jacque Strap, Seymour Butz, Mike Rotch, Hugh Jass, Ivana Tinkle, and there’s more, so much more.
- Barfolomew (Barf) of the movie Space Balls. You could consider several character names from this movie including Colonel Kernel Sandurz and Prince Valium, but Barf takes the cake for me.
- Dr. Frank. N. Furter of the movie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I don’t even know where to start on character names in this show. Dr. Furter has a butler named Riff Raff and the good doctor generated a creature named Rocky Horror.
- Prince Humperdinck of the movie The Princess Bride. This is one of my favorite movies and Prince Humperdinck is one of my favorite comical villains. He’s the only one in this movie without an obvious accent or speech impediment of some kind, but otherwise, he’s a captivating character.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr of the movie, The Man with Two Brains. If you can pronounce his name, let me know. I can’t seem to spit it out!
- Alotta Fagina of the movie, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. As if the character’s name isn’t bad enough, she’s played by an actor named Fabiana Udenio.
- Ben Dover of the movie, Fletch Lives. What a hilarious character name! Reminds me of the names quoted at the end of the radio show Car Talk. Have you heard some of these? For example, they claim the Assistant to the PR Specialist is Lotta B. Essen. Their Wardrobe Advisor is Harley Fitzhugh. The list goes on, but you get the idea.
- Lili Von Shtupp of the movie Blazing Saddles. I don’t even know what’s so funny about this name, but it cracks me up!
- Roseanne Roseannadanna of the TV show Saturday Night Live. How can you have a top 10 funniest character names and not include Gilda Radner? She’s had so many funny character names over the years, but this one is one of my favorites.
That’s our Top 10 list of favorite funny character names. So you tell me, what did we miss? Have you seen a movie or a TV show lately with a funny character name or do you have a long-time favorite?