I’m beginning today with an apology. That’s because I feel bad that every time I write about a recipe it seems I’ve had to adjust it this way or that, not because I’m inspired to do so, but because I’m lacking some key ingredient. And usually when I’m baking, it’s in the evening. That means one more trip to the grocery store sounds a little like heading to the dentist’s office for some voluntary exploratory drilling.
So today I started with a vision to share with you one recipe and that vision quickly morphed into something entirely different. That said, I don’t think you’ll mind one bit. That’s because whatever the source of inspiration, the results were nothing short of spectacular!
I know that sounds a lot like tooting my own horn, but take a look at that treat. Isn’t that a horn that deserves to be tooted? Besides, my first boss, Frank (I think that was his name), once told me, “You might as well toot your own horn…it’s not like anyone else is gonna.” Thanks for that pithy, on the mark advice, Frank.
So although I started with a different recipe in mind, what I ended up with were these Mini Magic Bars. Some people might refer to these as “dream” bars, but to me that name doesn’t do them justice. A graham cracker crust topped with sweet milk, coconut, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts. Doesn’t that sound magical?
I’ve normally made this recipe more like a traditional bar dessert, in a 9 x 13 pan. Today I couldn’t resist the temptation to make mini individual serving-sized treats. Maybe that’s so it’s easier to have more than just one. If you ask me, that’s the trick to any dessert — to find a way to fool yourself into thinking you’re eating more than you really are. Well, it’s either that or not to eat any at all and I bet even Frank would agree, that’s no way to live!
Mini Magic Bars
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 12 oz. package dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (I was out of pecans so I used a mixture of things – almonds, Brazil nuts, and even sunflower seeds)
- Combine coconut milk and sugar in a small saucepan and cook on medium-low heat while regularly stirring to dissolve sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, stir, and refrigerate the mixture to allow it to cool.
- Next, heat your oven to 350 F and prepare muffin pans with veggie cooking spray.
- Combine the margarine and peanut butter in a medium-size bowl and cook in the microwave until the margarine is melted, approximately 15-30 seconds. Stir the margarine and peanut butter until well combined. Next add the graham cracker crumbs and press the crumb mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Layer over the top of the graham cracker crust sweetened coconut milk, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts.
- Bake in the warmed oven for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Store these at room temperature or chilled.
- Makes approximately 24 – 30 (depending on the size of your muffin pans) Mini Magic Bars
- Try to remember what your mom always said and share!