When you’re looking for a healthy way to get your day started this Get Your Greens Smoothie has to be at the top. It includes lots of super foods and how can you go wrong with that?
I get up early most every day. Sometimes I write in my journal. Sometimes I practice piano. Sometimes I get an early start on my work for the day.
It doesn’t really matter the “what” of the morning. What I love is the “how.” That’s because the early morning hours are mine. I get up before everyone else when all is quiet. Peaceful.
Come to find out, I actually need this. Quality time to myself.
That’s because I’m one of those people who falls on the line.
You know the line, right?
On one side of the line is “introvert” and on the other side is “extrovert.”
I fall right in the middle. I can be extroverted all day long, but I need my quiet mornings to recharge.
Oh, and this smoothie.
I remember when I first read about these smoothies. I thought to myself that adding spinach to a smoothie was high on my disgusting ideas list. It took me awhile, but I finally tried it. Interestingly enough, when you add a banana and some strawberries to spinach in a blender, the result is actually really good.
You get the great healthy benefits of greens, and all the flavor of the strawberries and bananas.
That’s what I call a Mary Tyler Moore throw your hat in the air, it’s gonna be a happy day scenario!
Get Your Greens Smoothie
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 banana
- 1/2 – 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1 cup soy milk (add more soy milk for a thinner consistency)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Place the spinach, banana, strawberries and soy milk in a blender. Pulse until all the ingredients are nice and pulverized.
- Add the ice and blend until the ice is incorporated into the smoothie. You may want to add a little bit more soy milk or water here if you’d like a less thick smoothie.
- Add the agave nectar and pulse another second or two to let that sweet nectar get to know the rest of the ingredients.