Few things light my candle as much as a good dessert like this Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cheesecake. It’s so delicious you would never suspect it’s vegan. Do you hear that chorus of moo-ing in the background? That’s cows across the nation rejoicing. You want to know what’s even better? This dessert adds yet another item to my list of 100 Things To Do with Chickpeas. Cheesecake with chickpeas? Oh lah, my mother would say…and not in a good kind of way!
I realize I may be taking this chickpea thing way too far. For that I do apologize.
But just think about it. If the goal is to provide mouthwateringly delicious food to your people while keeping it healthy at the same time…then why not add a little chickpeas when you can?
They are a wonder food. At least if you ask me. Sure, chickpeas provide you with zinc and folate. Everyone knows that! (Or maybe not). The mighty chickpea also packs a hefty protein punch combined with fiber. How can you go wrong with including these in your diet?
Especially when it’s served up like this!
The way I look at it is if I’m going to be eating dessert…and I am…then why not pack in as much healthy stuff in my sweets as possible?
There’s a question mark at the end of that sentence…but it’s really more rhetorical. No need to answer.
The real trick is finding the balance between delicious and healthy. We’ve all had one or two of those cookies that pack a little too much fiber. That’s when cookies cross the border into Brickville! It’s not a pretty place to be.
That’s what I love about sneaking in chickpeas in my recipes. I don’t even tell my family…until afterwards. Poor, unsuspecting people. They never know what they’re eating.
I was more than a little worried about how this would turn out, especially since Shawn’s parents were in town. Neither of them are vegan so I was being more than brave trying this out on them. I shouldn’t have worried so much. If the speed in which the dessert disappears is any signal of its success, then this one is a real winner.
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cheesecake
- 1 Oreo Crust: 12 – 15 Oreo cookies and 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 15 oz can low sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Hazelnut flavored Kahlua
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 8 oz container vegan cream cheese (I typically use Tofutti’s Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 – 3 tablespoons water (if needed)
- 8 – 10 smashed Oreo cookies
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Warm your oven to 350° F.
- While you’re waiting for the oven to heat, prepare your crust by adding 12 – 15 Oreo cookies in a food processor. Pulse for several seconds and add 2 tablespoons vegan butter. Pulse again until well combined. Press this mixture in the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan. Bake the crust in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the cheesecake.
- To prepare the cheesecake part of this recipe, place chickpeas and Kahlua in a food processor. Pulse for several seconds until chickpeas are mostly smooth. (Substitute 1 tablespoon of vanilla if you prefer not to use alcohol)
- Add the corn starch, vegan cream cheese and sugar and pulse for several more seconds until everything is well combined and running smoothly. If you feel the mixture is too thick at this point, go ahead and add a little water, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each until you get a desired texture.
- Add the smashed Oreos and chocolate chips and pulse for one or two more seconds so it become like Gordon Gekko, well incorporated.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the prepared crust and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.