I took two recipes and crashed them together for some crazy delicious new combination I’m calling Chunky Monkey Cake with Coconut Crumble. It’s a good thing there wasn’t a lightning storm outside or this might have become my Bride of Frankenstein cake. It is the month for that sort of thing. Instead, I kept it classy and tasty as well.
I’ve made this Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake probably a hundred times. I almost don’t even need to look at the recipe anymore.
But I do. And I usually tweak the recipe here and there based on the ingredients I have on hand. That’s what I do. I tweak. Not Twerk, which I have to be honest, I looked up on Wikipedia. It’s described as a dance that makes a person’s hind end shake, wobble and jiggle. I think that makes me sort of a natural twerker because I’ve got the jiggling thing down. But I still prefer tweaking to twerking.
Not only did I breathe life into an old recipe, but I’m sharing it with you two ways. The first one is a bundt cake with the coconut crumble as a delicious filling in the middle. Check it out!
The second version is more like a pound-cake loaf with the crumble on the top. And, what’s a little cake without some Chocolate Ganache?
These cakes were delicious to eat while at the same time fun to shoot – in a camera kind of way. So, I had a lot of material to work with and I created a little video of the mysteriously appearing chocolate ganache. Can you tell it was a good weekend?
If that’s not enough to entice you to try this recipe, I don’t know what is. Of course, if you just want to watch the video, it is a calorie-free version of the real thing. I personally find it best to watch this video while actually eating my own slice of cake. That’s what I call eating my cake and watching it too.
Chunky Monkey Cake with Coconut Crumble
- Chunky Monkey Cake batter
- Coconut Crumble
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare your pan (or pans) for baking by spraying with vegetable spray. If you’re using a bundt pan you may want to coat with margarine or shortening and dust with flour to ensure easy removal of the cake when the time comes.
- Prepare the Coconut Crumble by placing the flour and oatmeal in a food processor. Pulse until well-combined and the oatmeal is coarsely ground. Add the brown sugar and coconut oil and pulse again until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the Chunky Monkey Cake batter as directed.
- For the Bundt Cake: Pour half of the Chunky Monkey Cake batter in the prepared bundt pan. Top this with the Coconut Crumble mixture. Then pour remaining cake batter over the crumble mixture, being sure to disburse the batter equally. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
- For a 9X13 cake pan. Pour all of the batter into your prepared pan. Sprinkle the coconut crumble evenly across the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- For the loaf pan: Pour the Chunky Monkey Cake batter in the prepared pan (or pans). Top with the Coconut Crumble mixture. This recipe should make 1 – 2 large loaves (or multiple, smaller loaves). If you’re using multiple loaf pans then bake for 15 minutes and begin testing for doneness. If using larger loaf pans, you’ll need to bake for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Whichever pan you’re using, be sure to test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake. if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s ready to be removed from the oven.
- While you’re waiting for the cake to cool, prepare the Chocolate Topping by combining chocolate chips, coconut oil, and peanut butter in a microwave safe dish. Heat in the microwave for 22 seconds, then stir. Heat for another 11 seconds and then stir until the chocolate is completely dissolved.
- Once the cake (or cakes) has cooled (10 minutes is a good rule of thumb), invert over a serving plate. If you’re using a loaf pan, you’ll want to turn the loaf over after the cake cools enough to handle. It’s nice to show off that crumble topping! Drizzle with chocolate glaze before serving.