I once asked my niece after her birthday if she was excited to now be five years old and heading for kindergarten. Her response? “Oh, you just go to kindergarten, grow old and die.” Wise words from one so young. Hopefully, we can fill up that time “growing old” with some interesting days. Sure, we all define “interesting” differently, but for me good food definitely has to be a part of it. Although hotdogs probably won’t show up on the menu at your local four-star restaurant, they can be a part of a foodie’s diet, especially when we’re talking about these Vegan Baked Hotdogs.
You may be putting the pieces together and starting to realize the reason behind my hankering for vegan hotdog buns last week. Someone even wrote on my facebook page asking why I needed vegan hotdog buns when the thing that goes inside is usually meat-based. It kind of goes against whole vegan grain of things.
The thing is, I stumbled on some vegan hotdogs recently. I’ve always been kind of clumsy that way. It’s why my sisters used to call me Twinkle Toes when I was a kid. Between you and me, sometimes I wonder if they don’t call me that behind my back today.
But I digress.
Once you’ve got some dairy-free hotdog buns, this is really an easy recipe. Place the hotdogs in the buns, arrange them in a pan, cover with vegetarian chili, chopped onions, and top with some grated vegan cheese. After a little spa time in the oven, these babies are ready to eat. My favorite part!
Simple, delicious, comfort food — definitely part of what I hope to be many more interesting days to come.
Vegan Oven-Baked Hotdogs
- 8 vegan hotdog buns
- 8 vegan hotdogs
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 15 oz can vegetarian chili (these are usually vegan too, but check the can to be sure)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 – 4 green onions, chopped
- Other ingredients as desired, such as mustard or relish
- Heat your oven to 350F
- Spread the vegan mayo across the insides of each of the hotdog buns. Place a vegan hotdog in each prepared bun and place in a 2-quart oblong baking pan (the one that’s a bit smaller than a 9X13). But the 9X13 should work here too.
- Spoon some of the chili mixture on top of each hot dog, followed by some shredded vegan cheese and chopped onions.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Try Other Similar Recipes:
Best wishes for happiness and hugs!