There are some advantages of being vegan. When you make chocolate chip cookies you can eat all the dough you want without the fear of getting sick. I mean, how great is that? Of course, we still have to worry about ensuing tummy aches if we eat too much of the stuff. [Sigh] Even silver linings have their dark spots. The good news is these Vegan Cookie Dough Bites are easy to make and even tastier to eat! Just make sure you’ve got some friends around to share them with so you don’t eat too many.
The other day we made some delicious Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies. Is there anything better than freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies? Well, actually there can be a lot of things better than cookies, especially when said cookies turn out to be a complete flop. I don’t know what caused the epic cookie failure but I didn’t have time to evaluate and correct. My daughter had friends over and I was left standing in the kitchen dumbfounded over a batch of ruined cookies. What would I do?
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. That’s what. The dough tasted great (of course) so I rolled it up into bite-sized balls and rolled these balls in sprinkles and served them on a tray. They were a huge hit and that’s when I realized I was onto something.
I like it when I walk into a room and people ooh and ahh. Of course, it helps to have a tray of Cookie Dough Bites in your hand.
This little cookie mishap of mine inspired me to tweak and create my own vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites recipe. I also began perusing the blogosphere and was inspired by the lovely Heather of Sprinkle Bites and her cookie dough balls. She dipped hers in melted chocolate. Holy mother of chocolate! As tempted as I was to do that, I went for the quicker route of rolling them in sprinkles. How fun!
And for a more elegant look, I rolled some of them in finely chopped nuts, cocoa, and even ground flax seeds (a good source of those healthy Omega-3s!).
One of my favorite Oprah quotes is, “Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” I’m not certain she had Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites in mind when she said this, but it certainly illustrates the point quite well.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 - 4 tablespoon soy milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips, chopped
- Toppings:: Sprinkles, finely chopped pecans, coconut flakes, or cocoa
- Combine peanut butter and sugars and mix until well combined. Push this mixture to the side and pour the flour in the empty side of the bowl. Add the salt to the flour and stir to combine it with the flour. Stir the flour and peanut butter mixture together.
- Take a test of your dough by forming a ball with your hand. If the dough seems moist enough that the ball stays together nicely, then you're ready to add the chocolate chips. You want the dough to stay together when you create the ball, but not too gooey. If the dough seems a little dry, go ahead and add soy milk, one tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency. If it's too sticky you can add more flour.
- I haven't yet found dairy-free mini chocolate chips, so I took 2 cups of chocolate chips, poured them on a chopping board (1 cup at a time) and chopped them up a little bit. Pour chopped chocolate chips in the batter (there will be chocolate shavings too and that's just fine - it will add nice flavor to each bite). Stir until well combined.
- Create balls from the dough. Next, get one small plate and add 1 - 2 tablespoons of soy milk. On a separate plate, add sprinkles (or your preferred topping). Briefly roll your cookie dough bite in the soy milk and then roll it in the sprinkles. It's ok to press the sprinkles into the dough a little bit. That will help the sprinkles stay in place.
While preparing this post I found several other sites with their own wonderful versions of this recipe. Here are a few tasty recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls:
- Joy the Baker Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
- Oh She Glows Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
- Love and Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
- How Sweet Eats Cookie Dough Truffles
Check out these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites I made over the holidays!
And one of my favorite recipes is this Butterfinger Cookie Dough Cake recipe. Can you see how incredible this is! One of my favorite birthday cakes so far!
I’m still in love with these Energy Orbs (aka Date Balls) that are not only a delicious treat, but uber healthy too!