If it’s true that we live our lives in chapters, then today’s scene contains a dreamy tale combing the mysterious backstory of dark chocolate with the whimsical underpinnings of a coconutty cookie crust. I call it Chocolate Cream Pie with Coconut Cookie Crust. Original. I know.
I like self-help books. Maybe that’s because I need a lot of help; but don’t we all?
Or is it just me.
Oh no. Maybe it is just me!
Do you see now why I read so many self-help books? Jeez!
Every now and then one of those books will make a statement that leaves an impression on me. Not literally, of course, but something said will stay with me for awhile.
This statement I’m about to tell you has stayed with me so long I can’t even remember which book I read it from. Or what day I read it on, but the thought of it lingers still.
We live our lives in chapters.
Very zen, eh?
And if we live our lives in chapters, then I’m really happy with the chapter I’m in because I’ve found a way to be free of some of the villains from my past.
Villain is kind of an extreme word, but if fit with the story theme.
You see, I wanted to try veganism for a long time before I actually took that leap. And do you know what held me back? Two things – my obsession with milk chocolate and pizza.
It’s understandable. Those are two powerful menu items in the buffet of life.
Here’s the amazing thing. When you can combine dairy-free dark chocolate with creamy coconut milk, it tastes an awful lot like milk chocolate…but better!
The “better” part comes from knowing that I’m not eating the by-products of a kind of disgusting cow’s milk industry.
If the choices I make are like a vote: I’m not pulling the lever for that!
When I first started eating dark chocolate, it really wasn’t my thing. But I kept at it and do you know what? Now I love the stuff.
Taste buds are truly malleable things.
Case in point — I’m no longer tempted by milk chocolate. Ever. That chapter of my life is over.
I’ve moved on to a Vegan Dreamy, Chocolate Creamy chapter…and it’s good. Really, really good!
Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie with Cookie Crust
- 1 batch Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie dough
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- vegan whipped cream topping (optional)
- Heat your oven up to 350F. Prepare a rectangle cake (9X12) pan by spraying it with vegetable spray.
- Press the cookie dough in the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown at the edges. Remove from oven and allow the crust time to cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the cream filling by combing the coconut milk and cornstarch in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat this for one to two minutes, until the mixture thickens a bit.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted. If you need to add a little more heat, you can place it back in the microwave, but be sure to only use short increments of cooking time – maybe 22 seconds at a time (so you don’t burn the chocolate).
- Once the chocolate is fully melted, add the vanilla and stir one last time.
- Pour the chocolate cream mixture over the cooled cookie crust. Refrigerate until the chocolate cream firms up; at least one hour.
- Serve with vegan whipped topping.