Beautiful spring days like today seem to bring out the best in me and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate the weather than with my Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake. It’s sort of a family tradition that the two go together; spring and cake. It’s one of those moments where I’m actually thankful for family traditions!
Spring is here and it’s time to celebrate. Daffodils, lilacs, azaleas. They’re all in bloom. All this color outside made me think it would be nice to have some color inside.
Besides, each spring my mom makes the best Strawberry Cake. The only problem is, they’re not vegan. Although I don’t eat them now, it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the work she puts into them. And she always makes a special vegan (or even gluten-free) cake for us. I just have to confess, I miss her strawberry cakes.
Maybe that’s why I continue to fiddle with recipes to make the perfect Vegan Strawberry Cake.
I’ve experimented with a few. First I made this one: The Best Vegan Strawberry Cake Ever!
I might have been a little premature with that title. It’s what I was thinking at the time, but little did I know I would continue to come up with others.
Note to self: don’t start out of the gate calling something “the best.” Leave yourself room to improve!
Then recently I presented this Neopolitan Gooey Brownie recipe. Yes, it’s not technically a strawberry cake, but it’s a big part of this recipe. My oh my, was that one deliciously sweet recipe!
And here I arrive today with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake. I think that makes today just a little bit extra special.
I like special days. They make me feel like something amazing is about to happen. You know, like when you’re reading a really good book and you can’t wait to turn the page to see what happens next? That’s what today is all about.
If I may, I suggest a healthy and delicious dinner followed by night cap and this cake. It’s easy to make, vegan, and comes with lots of good joo joo for spectacular days!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
- 1 serving Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- Strawberry Cake Mix*
- 1 stick of Earth Balance dairy-free, margarine
- 1 Cup dairy-free chocolate chips
* Some commercial cake mixes are what we call “accidentally vegan.” There’s a lot of ingredients listed (usually something we keep to a minimum), but just look for the ones that don’t list animal products such as milk, eggs, animal shortening, etc.
- Prepare the Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk (link to recipe is provided above). Set aside
- Heat your oven to 350F
- Prepare your 9 X 12 baking pan by spraying it with vegetable spray.
- Next, in a large bowl, add one stick of margarine. Warm it in the microwave a few seconds until the margarine is soft. Add the strawberry cake mix and 1/4 cup of the slightly cooled Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture. Stir to combine. This is going to be a sturdy dough – more like a cookie dough than cake or brownies. Spread the cake dough in the bottom of the prepared pan. You’ll have to coax it a little to get it to reach each corner of the pan. You can do it!
- Next, pour the half of the remaining Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture over the top of the strawberry cake batter, being sure to cover each area of the cake equally.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until it’s done in the center.
- In the meantime, add the cup of chocolate chips to the remaining Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk. If it’s still slightly warm, the chocolate chips might just melt, but if not, you might need to heat it up a little. About 11 seconds in the microwave did the trick for me.
- Once the Strawberry Gooey Cake is done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Pour the chocolate mixture over the top. I reserved a little extra to pour on top immediately before serving. Yummy!
I may have reached the pinnacle of Vegan Strawberry Cake recipes with this one. Maybe my next big task will be to make a Gluten-Free Vegan Strawberry Cake. So many fabulous cakes to make, so little time!