Some days only the flavors of rich chocolate and smooth peanut butter can soothe your troubled soul which makes these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars the perfect cure for whatever ails you.
When I was a teenager I went through a phase where I loved making up recipes. I didn’t know what I was doing, of course.
Maybe that’s why I liked it. The process and the outcomes were always a mystery!
Combining chocolate, peanut butter and rice crispies used to be a favorite treat back then, and I had nearly forgotten about it until recently. Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars. Just saying it again makes me feel all happy inside!
Who can deny the perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter? That with a little bit of snap and crackling rice crispies makes for a perfect mid-day treat!
If you know any hobbits, they’re not too shabby as a second breakfast either.
I do whatever my rice crispies tell me.
I saw that on a bumper sticker once. I’m still laughing about it today.
It’s kind of funny to think that I’ve returned to the passions of my youth. I went through a period where I felt cooking was too domestic so I spent as little time as possible in the kitchen. I was making my way in the world and didn’t have time for domesticity. That meant we ended up eating out. A lot!
Then I read a book which changed my life. You may know the author, Sue Monk Kidd. Before she wrote Secret Life of Bees and other fabulous novels, she wrote a little book called The Dance of the Dissident Daughter. I had many powerful take-aways from this book but one of my favorites was understanding that feminine and masculine characteristics fall on a spectrum and that each and every one of us share in those traits, whether male or female.
What an empowering thought! Spending time in the kitchen doesn’t have to be a household, feminine chore. It can be, and is, an expression of creativity!
And a dose of creativity was definitely needed in my kitchen recently. That’s because I could remember eating these delicious rice crispy bars as a teenager, but now as an adult I couldn’t for the life of me remember how I made them.
So I know these are not the same as what I made before, but somehow I think they’re actually better.
Vegan, gluten-free, chocolate peanut butter bars.
Creativity and science combined = Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars². In other words, they’re so good you might want to double the recipe!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup cocoa (optional)
- 3 cups Rice Crispy (or Rice Krispies) cereal
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread (see recipe below)
- Chocolate Fudge Topping (see recipe below)
- Prepare your pan by using non-dairy margarine to grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine corn syrup, white, and brown sugar in a small sauce pan and cover over low to medium heat for several minutes until the mixture becomes smooth. Remove from heat
- Add the peanut butter (and cocoa if you’re including that) and stir until everything is combined quite nicely.
- Pour in the rice crispy cereal and stir some more until each rice crispy has had its fair share of peanut butter (or chocolate peanut butter) coating.
- Now pour that crispy goodness into your prepared pan and spread it around some. You can use your fingers or the greased back of a spoon to press the crispy treat mix into the bottom of the pan.
- Top that with the Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread (recipe below)
- Then top that with the Chocolate Fudge Topping (recipe below)
- Cover and place the pan in the fridge where you can stand nearby for an hour and waiting for it to set. Trust me, it’s worth the wait!
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 package vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup creamy (or crunchy if you like it that way) peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low heat for several seconds until the cream cheese is pliable enough to stir.
- Stir ingredients together.
- This is great as part of this recipe, but you can also use this sweet spread over rice cakes, cookies, and cakes. It’s a multi-talented kind of recipe!
Chocolate Fudge Topping
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Coconut Spread (or coconut oil)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons soy milk
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut spread (or coconut oil) in a small microwave-safe bowl (or small saucepan if you prefer cooking it over the stove). Microwave for about 22 seconds and stir everything. Repeat until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate!
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted add soy milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach just the right texture – when it’s spreadable, but not too thin.
- Just like the Peanut Butter Spread above, this stuff is delicious on just about everything. OK. Maybe not veggie burgers.
These dessert bars go perfectly with a tall glass of soy milk. Enjoy!